Hungary Work Visas and Permits
What Types of Hungary Work Visas Are There?
All non-EU citizens must have a work visa and work permit to live and work in Hungary. As the employer, you’re responsible for the majority of the process, including providing documents to the immigration authorities. Some of the options include:
- Individual work permits: Foreign nationals wanting to work in Hungary for no more than 90 days over 180 days should apply for an individual work permit.
- Joint work permits: Joint work permits are for foreign nationals intending to work in Hungary for more than 90 days within 180 days.
- Residence permits: Residence permits, also known as tartózkodási engedély, permit residency for up to 90 days.
- Single application procedure: A third-country national can stay in Hungary for more than 90 days but less than 180 days through the single application procedure. This permit is based on an employment relationship with a Hungarian employer.
In addition to a work permit, your employees will need a Hungary work visa. Available visa types follow:
- Seasonal employment visa: Anyone working in agriculture, horticulture, animal husbandry, or fishing must have a work permit and a seasonal employment visa. This visa counts for both single and multiple entries and allows the applicant to work for greater than three but fewer than six months.
- EU Blue Card: Any high-skill worker from an EU member country can get an EU Blue Card as long as they also have a residence permit. They’ll need to prove 18 months of lawful stay in a member state to be eligible.
- Schengen business visa: Non-European citizens traveling to a Schengen country for short-term business purposes can get this visa for single or multiple entries. It allows holders to stay in the country for 90 days over six months.
- Working Schengen visa: Anyone traveling to Hungary for short-term employment opportunities should apply for this visa.
Requirements to Obtain a Hungary Work Permit
You must obtain work permits on behalf of all employees after meeting numerous requirements. First, advertise the job in the Hungarian Labor Office for 15 days to allow unemployed Hungarian nationals to apply. Then, submit a valid manpower request to the regional branch of the labor center. Hungary has quotas for foreign employees, and your number of work permits for foreigners cannot exceed the average number of workers requested by employers during the previous year.
From there, you can follow the general or simplified procedure. The labor center will make a final decision on whether you can get the work permit within 10 to 30 days of you applying. Once it’s approved, you’ll get a resolution issued by the labor center.
Steps to Get a Hungary Working Visa
Every Hungary working visa has a different application process. For example, some of your employees may be eligible for an EU Blue Card. They’ll need to:
- Have a valid travel document
- Certify the purpose of their entry and exit
- Meet the legal employment conditions
- Have full-coverage health insurance
- Report a valid address for their stay in Hungary
The application procedure involves submitting a valid passport, biometric data, an application, and the documents above. After approving the EU Blue Card, the regional directorate will grant permission to issue a residence permit visa and notify the Consular Officers.
Unique and Important Considerations
If you want to employ European Economic Area (EEA) citizens, remember that you don’t need to create an employment arrangement or acquire work permits. However, you must notify the Labor Center about employment and provide certain data, including the number of people employed along with their age, citizenship, qualifications, and more. The Hungarian Employment Center will verify the notification, which you should keep three years after terminating the employee.
Choose Prabesh Group for Help Expanding
Globalization Partners has subsidiaries across the world that can help you tackle new markets, find talented employees, and grow your business in as little as a day or two. Contact us today to learn more about our solution.